I love Christmas. I love it all. But for me, the stand out part is the food – so much effort, so much taste, so much deliciousness, but also, so much junk! So, to offset my Christmas chocolate consumption, I selected two of my favourite festive sweet treats and gave them a no junk fueled, protein kick.
Ladies and Gentlemen, may I present to you *drum roll* my super easy to make & amazingly tasty and crowd-pleasing “Salted Caramel Protein-Stuffed Dates” and my “Irish Cream Layered Protein Truffle Bites” *applause*.
I’ve made both of these recipes with the awesome & brand spanking new all purpose protein cooking mixes from Protein Pow. Not only are these mixes GMO free, gluten free & soy free, but they are also made with totally delicious and natural ingredients, not a single dodgy additive, preservative or emulsifier. The pea mix (which is hands down, my favourite & makes my recipe for the most insane vegan, gluten free brownies) is also vegan.
Why have I used these mixes instead of single ingredients? Well, let me tell you…
Firstly, they are insanely easy to use & SOOOOO delicious – chuck the mix and a few store-cupboard ingredients in a bowl, mix & shape & WHAM, natural & delicious protein bars. Chuck it in the oven & BAM, awesome protein muffins. Throw it in a frying pan & HEY PRESTO crazy good pancakes! (not an exhaustive list of uses AT ALL!!)
Secondly, they are really cost-effective (especially with the 25% discount code I have for you, at the bottom of the post!). If you buy individual pre-made protein bars, you know that they are around £2 or £3 EACH – you can make heaps more from this bag for considerably less per pouch. Also, it saves having to go out and buy all the individual ingredients – the protein powders, the coconut flours etc – it can quickly become expensive & cupboard filling!
Thirdly, by grabbing a bag or two, trying it out & posting your results, you could be in with a chance to become part of the Protein Pow family – how awesome is that?! Details on how to apply can be found here.
Anyway, I digress, I can’t help it, I’m just so excited by these products & how accessible it makes protein baking. On to the (AMAZINGLY SIMPLE) recipes!
Salted Caramel Protein-Stuffed Dates
Dates always say Christmas to me. Who else remembers those little white lozenge-shaped plastic boxes of dates that came with a spiky stick to pick them out? That always signified that Christmas had arrived. Well, I’ve moved slightly away from those somewhat dry, hard and tiny dates and used medjool dates, because, well, more date, obviously, but also, they are so soft, sweet, sticky and full of fudgey caramel flavours. Plus, they have a huge cavity that can be super, mega stuffed with the delicious protein filling.
If you are searching for a sweet, sticky, salted caramel hit this Christmas – then THIS recipe is for you! I fed one to my husband & he exclaimed that there was a “party in his mouth”. Now, seeing as he didn’t even get that excited at our wedding, or at the birth of our child, I’m guessing they’re pretty good! I accidentally ate 3 of the 4 that I made!!
Ingredients (makes 4 stuffed dates, can totally be doubled/tripled…):
- 15g Protein Pow All Purpose Whey Protein Mix
- 15g Cashew Nut Butter (milder in flavour than peanut or almond)
- 5g syrup (I used date, for the full caramel hit, but use whatever you’ve got!)
- generous pinch of sea salt
- 4x medjool dates
- Selection of nuts/seeds for topping (optional)
- Grab a bowl & throw in the mix, the nut butter, the syrup & salt. Mix mix mix until you get a dough.
- Divide the dough in to 4 and shape in to little date-sized sausages.
- Slit each date open & remove the stone. Replace the stone with a piece of dough.
- If you’ve chosen to add toppings to make them look even more festive and fancy, chuck them on now, or not, up to you, they are insanely delicious with or without!
Macros (per date, without additional toppings):
105kcals, 2.1g fat, 20.8g carbs, 2.4g protein
Irish Cream Layered Protein Truffle Bites
Now, these will really impress your Christmas guests (though, in fairness, I’d be reluctant to share!!!). Irish cream liqueur has ALWAYS been the festive tipple of choice in my family. I remember being allowed to have a tiny taste as a child and I was hooked! Each year, when winter draws in & the Irish Cream comes out, I know that Christmas is around the corner. So, I have invented a ridiculously tasty, Irish cream fueled, cakey, nutty, super simple, triple layered protein chocolate. You will not believe how simple the dough layers are!!
Ingredients (makes 6 decent-sized chocolates):
- 30g Protein Pow All Purpose Whey Cooking Mix
- 20g Irish Cream
- 27g Protein Pow All Purpose Whey Cooking Mix
- 3g Cocoa Powder
- 20g Irish Cream
- 15g nutbutter (I used an amazing Tiramisu flavored nut butter from Protein Pick and Mix, but use whatever you have or like)
- 30g dark chocolate
- 5g Irish cream
Method (you’ll be amazed at how easy these are!)
- Start by making the white layer: Chuck the two ingredients in a bowl & mix to a dough (see, easy!)
- Make the brown layer: Chuck the three ingredients in a bowl & mix to a dough.
- Roll out the white dough to about half a cm thickness, cut in to 6 equal sized pieces.
- Repeat with the brown dough.
- Divide the nut butter across the brown pieces and spread out. Top with the white layer.
- Gently melt the chocolate and Irish cream (careful not to split it). Dip the layered blocks in to the chocolate & put on foil. Dust with extra cocoa & a sprinkle of sea salt, if you like.
- Set in the fridge for a few minutes.
- Try not to eat them all straight away!
Macros (per piece):
104kcals, 4.6g fat, 10.3g carbs, 4.8g protein
So, how easy were they??? Amazing, huh? Your Christmas guests will never guess that they are so full of goodness, because they taste so naughty!
The good news for you guys is that I’ve got a mega code for you to grab a whopping 25% off of your order over at the Protein Pow shop, so go grab yourself a bag or two of the mixes, make some amazing & delicious creations & don;t forget to apply to join the family! Use the code CMPOW25.