Well, if the words, caramel, banana and upside down cake didn’t draw you in, then stop reading now, you failed the test! Honestly guys, if you love banana cake and sticky caramel, then this is an absolute MUST try protein recipe – get baking!
I kind of made this recipe up on the go – it was going to be a sticky pineapple upside down cake, but, alas, the cupboard was bare of pineapple and so, banana was a very worthy replacement. In fact, you know what? I reckon you could easily use any fruit in this recipe, so pick your favourite – just be wary that the wetter the fruit, the longer your cake will take to cook, so be careful that you don’t end up with a soggy bottom and a rubbery cake!
The delicious caramel flavour comes courtesy of a couple of teaspoons of date syrup. If you can’t get hold of that, then use any dark syrup you have to hand, but the date really is mind-blowing, so it is definitely worth searching out!
The cake itself is twice cooked (don’t be put off, it is super simple!). The cake is baked – upside down – in a silicone cake tin, it is pulled out of the oven before it is totally cooked through, then turned banana-side-up and grilled for a few minutes. This process isn’t totally necessary, you could always just bake the cake a little longer, but the grill makes the caramel all toasty and delicious and makes the banana slices all tanned and yummy.
I like to leave the batter slightly on the underside of done, not raw, but with a creamy/brownie bar kind of texture – that way you get a deliciously moist cake, without the rubbery-ness that can occur with a whey protein bake.
My favourite way to serve this is warm (just chuck it in the microwave for about 45seconds), with plain yoghurt, fruit and syrup – either the date syrup, or, I really like to use a zero cal syrup – there are some great varieties available out there, so have a hunt about for them.
Right, here is the recipe, give it a go – you will LOVE it! I’ve fed it to three different people & they have all loved it too – plus the macros are pretty great too!
- 2 scoops unflavoured whey protein powder
- 3/4 cup fat free cottage cheese
- 2 medium bananas
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup stevia/truvia/sukrin
- 2 eggs
- 2tsp baking powder
- 1/8 cup milk (any will do, I used regular skimmed cows milk)
- 1tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp date syrup (or another dark syrup)
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees centigrade (or equiv.)
- Grab a silicon cake case – I used a round one, but use whatever you’ve got – place the case on a baking sheet.
- Chuck all of the ingredients (apart from ONE of the bananas and the date syrup) in to a bowl and blend with a stick blender. It needs to be blended to squish up the lumps in the cottage cheese!
- Drizzle the 2 tsps of date syrup in the bottom of the cake case.
- Slice the remaining banana and lay in to the base of the case.
- Pour the cake batter over the top of the banana and syrup and smooth out the top.
- Put the tray in the oven – the cake will take around 20-25mins for the first bake, it should be set on top and mostly cooked, with just a slight trace of batter on a skewer when tested (if you don’t want to grill it, leave it in for a little longer, but keep checking the cake with a metal skewer, as soon as it comes out clean, grab it straight out!)
- If you are grilling the cake, grab it out the oven and leave it to cool slightly, until it can be handled without it breaking or crumbling. Pre-heat the grill.
- Turn the cake out on the the baking tray – it should come out with all the sticky caramel and banana slices intact, but you can always pick the banana bits from the case and place back on to the cake. Grill for approx 5minutes, until the top is beautifully caramalised and sticky.
- Either eat straight away, or leave to cool and have later, warmed up is best! Cuts in to 8 pieces.
Macros (per slice, of 8):
132kcals, 2.9g fat, 13g carbs, 15.4g protein
Give this delicious cake a whirl – I bet you’ll find yourself eating it for breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks, I know that’s exactly what I did!!